Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strobe test fine, but bhv codes not matching`

Posted by aboharbf 
Strobe test fine, but bhv codes not matching`
June 22, 2021 11:21AM
Hey All,

I've run into this odd problem where I am setting up a new system, and for some reason the strobe test yields the expected results, but the codes sent during the task don't match what is stored in the trial data. I'm not sure what to trouble shoot besides making sure all the connections are tight. Any ideas?
Re: Strobe test fine, but bhv codes not matching`
June 22, 2021 03:22PM
some additional bits of information - attached is a table of the codes I typically use along with the codes which I get instead, and their binary translations. the binary of the gotten code has the changed bits highlighted. It doesn't reveal any clear pattern about which bits are being misrepresented (that I can see).
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.JPG (28.6 KB)
June 22, 2021 06:57PM
Try the same code multiple times before switching to another, like 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 30, 30, ... and so on.

Is the polarity of the strobe bit correct both on NIMH ML and the recording system?
June 22, 2021 07:43PM
Yes, on MKL it is set to 'on rising edge' and on Blackrock it is set to '16 bit strobe on rising edge'. The new system I am setting up is the digital system, and after testing with the analog system, I have the same issue.

I added in 'eventmarker(X)' after each of the events which trigger the eventmarker normally - though the trial data in MKL showed the change, there was no change of what signals arrived on the other end. the numbers were still off, and the extra copies sent did not appear.
June 23, 2021 04:43PM
Update: I reseated the PCIe card in the machine, replugged in the wires, and redid the ports on the front of my BNC-2090 (the rainbow cable where the behavioral codes are sent out from) to use a nearly non-overlapping set of ports. (Used to be on Ports 1 and 2 mostly, now mostly on 0 with 2 wires on 1). The problem remains.

Since I'm eager to get to recording, at the moment I'm relying on the 9's being consistent as they appear to be, and using those to create a set of correct signals (the original system was redundant so it doesn't hurt) and passing them as a blackrock signal, but I would really like to figure this out somehow and I have no clue what to troubleshoot next. The Strobe test continues to be correct, so I'm not sure what to try next.
June 23, 2021 10:18PM
Did you connect all 16 lines (plus strobe bit and GND) between BNC-2090 and Blackrock? You showed only 6 binary digits in the table you uploaded. If not, are the unused bits open or grounded?

What is the length of your rainbow cable?
June 24, 2021 11:03AM
Here is the cable I'm using, I have a 1 meter long version: [www.ni.com]

I have all 3 of the GRND slots on the BNC-2090 occupied by ground cables for the wire. Unused bits are open, but they aren't being triggered inappropriately during these tests, and they aren't assigned in the Monkeylogic panel.

Also, I've swapped the PCI slot being used in the machine, nothing changed. I've also been rerunning the strobe test throughout, and it is being sent correctly every time.
June 25, 2021 03:09PM
I just looked up the Blackrock manual. I think your digital input setting is incorrect. Read your manual.
June 25, 2021 04:32PM
I did read the manual upon first having this problem - this one to be exact: [www.blackrockmicro.com] , Page 12 has the pin out for the digital system.

I've since learned there is no strobe bit, but the pin I had hooked it up to is not connected to anything on the Blackrock edge. I have both systems set to 'on rising edge', so I don't see how an unread strobe signal could be causing this problem.

I use this cable: [www.ni.com], which page 6 is shows the correspondence between the connector pins and the colored wires. I am using wires 1 (Black) to 12 (Light Green). Black was the strobe cable and remains assigned the strobe cable, and like I mentioned before, isn't read on the digital port. The remaining cables are all on read ports.

If there is some feature to this problem you're seeing in the manual that I'm not, It would be nice hear about it.
June 25, 2021 04:56PM
Is your system CerePlex Direct? What digital input options does it have other than '16 bit strobe on rising edge'?
June 25, 2021 05:36PM
'16 bit strobe on falling edge' and '16 bit strobe on bit changes'
June 25, 2021 05:53PM
Is the phrase, '16 bit strobe on', only in front of the 'rising edge' option?
June 25, 2021 05:56PM
Okay. You updated the post while I was typing.

Try setting NIMH ML to 'send and clear'. Leave CerePlex Direct to '16 bit strobe on rising edge'.
June 25, 2021 10:30PM
That seems to have done the trick! Sort of surprised - can you explain what its doing?
June 25, 2021 11:29PM

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.