Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

stimuli not loaded; user-defined

Posted by PeterK 
stimuli not loaded; user-defined
January 04, 2023 03:45PM
Hello all,

I just switched to a small Dell touchscreen laptop running windows 10 and ML 2.2.31.

When I load my conditions file the stimulus set window states: "user defined", as does the "Timing files" window.

The ML message window does not show any errors, nor does the MATLAB command window.

I'm sure I am probably overlooking something simple since it's been a while since I started with a new PC.

Any guess as to this problem?

<<< MonkeyLogic >>> NIMH MonkeyLogic 2.2.31 (Sep 26, 2022)
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.2130]
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> MATLAB 9.7.0.1737446 (R2019b) Update 9
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> NIMH daqtoolbox 1.0.76 (Sep 26, 2022)
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> National Instruments NI-DAQmx 22.5
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Intel64 Family 6 Model 140 Stepping 1, GenuineIntel
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Detected 8 "AMD64" processors
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Found 2 video device(s)...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Found 2 DAQ adaptor(s), 2 board(s)
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> New conditions loaded in 0.4 s: RatingTask_v9.txt
Re: stimuli not loaded; user-defined
January 08, 2023 12:49PM
It appears that you loaded a userloop function, not a conditions file. Did you open the text file and see what is written in it?
https://monkeylogic.nimh.nih.gov/docs_RunningTask.html#LoadConditions
January 09, 2023 01:22PM
That's weird; I have never written a userloop.m function.

After I click on the "load conditions file" button and select my conditionsfile.txt, it lists that file as .txt in place of the button.

These are the same files I run on my desktop.

Running newest version of monkeylogic (which I updated since I thought it might be a bug).

(Probably unrelated (but weird) - I can not pop open the monkeylogic panel to show video, input/output, and task sub-sections. I can only open 1 at a time it a separate window.)
January 09, 2023 01:45PM
What I asked is what is written in the txt file. Please post the conditionsfile.txt.

Your screen may be too small to display the entire menu. If not, try clicking the expand-menu button.
https://monkeylogic.nimh.nih.gov/docs_MainMenu.html#Logo
January 10, 2023 11:34AM
Thanks Jaewon, I sent you the conditions file, it is the same .txt file that runs on all my other desktop setups. I don't always have my second monitor plugged into my laptop, nor the national instruments USB device, but it's still an unusual error.
January 10, 2023 12:13PM
As I wrote you by email, the file reads fine on my side, so I cannot tell what may be the problem. Since it works on your other computers as well, I suggest checking your laptop more thoroughly.
January 10, 2023 02:50PM
What would I check??

It's a brand new Dell Latitude 7320 running windows 10 and the latest ML software.

<<< MonkeyLogic >>> NIMH MonkeyLogic 2.2.31 (Sep 26, 2022)
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.2130]
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> MATLAB 9.7.0.1737446 (R2019b) Update 9
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> NIMH daqtoolbox 1.0.76 (Sep 26, 2022)
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> National Instruments NI-DAQmx 22.5
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Intel64 Family 6 Model 140 Stepping 1, GenuineIntel
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Detected 8 "AMD64" processors
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Found 2 video device(s)...
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> Found 2 DAQ adaptor(s), 2 board(s)
<<< MonkeyLogic >>> New conditions loaded in 0.6 s: RatingTask_v9.txt (C:\Users\pkas_admin\Documents\MATLAB\Experiments\RatingTask\RatingTask_v9\)
January 10, 2023 03:18PM
For example, have you tried any other tasks to see if the same problem occurs in all of them?
January 10, 2023 04:10PM
None of my tasks work; they all return "user-defined".

I've now tried it with and w/o the NI USB device and multiple peripheral monitors via both USB-C and HDMI.

Something is not set up correctly.

What triggers the userloop function? If I were going to use a userloop, what would I write?

Is it possible that ML/MATLAB is somehow misinterpreting the .txt files?

I have never written a userloop and these are all working conditions files and timing scrips from my desktop machine just copied to (I think) the same path structure on my laptop.

Still not seeing any explicit ML or MATLAB errors.
January 10, 2023 04:17PM
Is it a problem that my timing script and conditions file have the same name (but different extensions)?

However - This has not been a problem on previously operational setups.

If I load the conditionsfile.txt, is it somehow trying to load the timingscript.m file?
January 10, 2023 04:39PM
Set a breakpoint at Line 44 of mlconditions.m and then try to load the conditions file. When MATLAB stops at the Line 44, what is in obj.Conditions?
January 10, 2023 04:58PM
In

obj.Conditions

there is another "Condition.m" file!

'C:\Users\pkas_admin\Documents\MATLAB\eeglab\eeglab2022.1\plugins\Cleanline2.00\external\bcilab_partial\keywords\Condition.m'

this is part of eeglab and is (was) in my path

I removed this and ML is now loading all conditions properly

Thank you!!
January 10, 2023 06:23PM
To fix this problem without removing the file from your path, change Line 43 of mlconditions.m like the following.
From: if 2==exist(cond{1}{1},'file'), obj.Conditions = which(cond{1}{1}); end
To:   if 1==length(cond) && 2==exist(cond{1}{1},'file'), obj.Conditions = which(cond{1}{1}); end
January 10, 2023 06:45PM
Thank you!!

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.