Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Webcam not showing up in the settings window

Posted by kms 
kms
Webcam not showing up in the settings window
October 24, 2019 05:19PM
Hi Jaewon,

I switched to the latest version of NIMH-monkeylogic after more than a year and my earliest version of NIMH-ML task seemed to work without any hiccups on this! Thank you so much for making it all so seamless!

I am interested in testing the webcams with my task. I tried a couple of USB webcams, but for some reason neither of them showed up in the 'Non DAQ device' settings window under the webcam column (there was only one 'none' option that was active). Am I missing something? Also, once switched on, does the video data get recorded by default for the entire duration ML is run for?

Thanks!
Re: Webcam not showing up in the settings window
October 24, 2019 06:03PM
Did you restart MATLAB after plugging in the webcams? If you did, what kind of webcams are they? Do you know their manufacturers and model names?

Yes, the video is recorded, once a webcam is selected in the Non-DAQ device settings. The ITI period is not recorded, unless you check on the ITI recording on the main menu.
kms
October 25, 2019 07:03AM
Hi Jaewon,

Yes, I tried restarting Matlab after connecting the webcam. Did not help.

One of them that I tried is a "Yi Discovery Action Camera", Model YAS.2217, (FCC ID:2AAFIB-YAS2217). Don't have the name of the other one right now, but can check and get back. Are there any particular specs for compatibility? Thanks!
October 25, 2019 10:41AM
It seems that this model is a standalone camera, not a kind that we call "webcams". Usually webcams have to be connected to computers to take pictures and cannot function independently.

When connected, the computer should be able to control the webcam. If the connection is just for file transfer, it won't work. Can you record videos on Windows Camera app or do video-chatting with the camera?
kms
October 30, 2019 07:12PM
Thanks, Jaewon. I got hold of two regular webcams to test and am able to record ML data using them now.

The data file is >2 GB for a short 3 min. session. Is that what is expected or is there a way to save video data in a compressed format?

Thanks again!
kms
October 31, 2019 08:45AM
I found a related link answering my question about compressed video data. Thanks!
November 25, 2019 07:13PM
Now you can compress the webcam data by exporting it as MP4. Please download the latest version.

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.