Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Solution to skipped frames

Posted by stomatsu 
Solution to skipped frames
May 27, 2020 10:19PM
Hello, Jaewon

Now I use Monkey Logic 2 to present movies, and I loss over how to cope with frequent skipped frame. I really appreciate it if you give me some advices.

The movies are 30 - 40 MB, around 800 frames, and 20 fps.
I present 12 movies in one trial, and I find more than 20 frames are skipped in each trial.
I know the lost 20 frames are only 0.2 % of frames presented in a trial (800 x 12 movies), but I want
to eliminate (or at least decrease) these skipped frames because the movies include flutter movements and I want to analyze synchronization between monkey’s movement and movie.

During task, ML2 makes TTLs, plays movies, and monitors eye movement to abort a movie when a monkey did not look at the movie.
To play a movie, I use 'mgladdmovie' and 'mglsetproperty'.
Version of ML2 is 'Oct 15, 2018 built 155'.
Matlab is R2017a.
PC is on Windows 7 professional, Intel Core i7-6700, CPU 3.40 GHz, RAM 20GB, 64 bit.
I upgraded a graphic board (movie memory 2048 MB), and an electric supply (750W), but they did not improve the situation.

Do you think what I can do to reduce skipped frames?
Re: Solution to skipped frames
May 28, 2020 10:09AM
The graphic card and the power supply are not critical components to boost performance in this case. From what you said, I think the speed of streaming movies from the disk may be a problem. I saw many times that conventional hard disks were not fast enough to deliver movie contents in time. I suggest trying a solid state drive.

By the way, why do you use 'mgladdmovie' and 'mglsetproperty'? You should let NIMH ML control stimuli and not call MGL functions directly so that NIMH ML can log what it does. Use either conditions files or adapters to create stimuli.
https://monkeylogic.nimh.nih.gov/docs_CreatingTask.html

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.