Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using second Eye channel for analog arm trajectories

Posted by Bjerki 
Using second Eye channel for analog arm trajectories
January 23, 2020 05:33AM
Hi,

I am considering to switch from Cortex to MonkeyLogic (about time, right), but I have one concern, that I am not really able to resolve from the online documentation.

In the cortex version I use, I modified the build, in particular related to the EPP channels, replicating all the functions for the EOG channels, so that the 2 analog signals reflecting arm X and Y positions could be transformed into screen (DVA) coordinates, and also used to display to the animal a cursor reflecting his arm position, be used to detect visual object 'touches' etc...

In MonkeyLogic, I understand there's the option to have inputs from 2 eyes, so 4 analog input channels in total? When you set the transformations for DVA etc for one eye channel, can it be set differently for the other channel? The DVA transformations for my eye and arm signals are not the same, and I modified also the cortex configuration file, so that these could be specified differently...

In short, would I be able to replicate such a setup in MonkeyLogic, without too much scripting?

Thanks for any help
Re: Using second Eye channel for analog arm trajectories
January 23, 2020 10:27AM
In NIMH ML, you can use as many analog input channels as you want. Eye and joystick are just special in that calibration tools and visual tracers are provided for them.

NIMH ML supports two eyes and two joysticks and all of them can work independently with their own signal calibration. You won't need to script anything in most cases. Even if you use a weird, non-linear transformation to convert arm XY to DVA, you need just a few lines of code (see the "task\runtime v1\8 customized calibration" example in the NIMH ML installation path).

I would assign your arm as a joystick, since you want to show a cursor to the subject. Eye doesn't show a tracer to the subject.
Re: Using second Eye channel for analog arm trajectories
February 04, 2020 05:57AM
Thanks!

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.