Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cap on frequency input through general inputs?

Posted by acecala 
Cap on frequency input through general inputs?
January 15, 2020 11:59AM
I'd like to record audio (range of frequencies both background and speech) via ML through the general inputs I/O feature. However, when using the I/O test feature I ran into an issue where a sine wave (3.5Volts) waveform generated by a signal generator degrades at frequencies higher than 500Hz. I don't believe this is related to limitations of the National Instruments breakout box (could be wrong about this)...so...is there a maximum frequency that ML can sample via the breakout box or is there just an issue with the quality of the display in the I/O test window?

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your time!
Re: Cap on frequency input through general inputs?
January 15, 2020 12:40PM
You cannot do it, if you have only one NI board and you are using it for acquiring other signals.

NI multifunction boards have only one ADC shared by all channels. Although one board may have 16 or 32 AI channels, all channels must run at the same sample frequency and the maximum possible frequency for each channel decreases as a function of the number of used channels. NIMH ML runs data acquisition at 1 kHz, so, if you want to sample something with a frequency higher than 500 Hz, you need another board and control it yourself. Also the I/O test window is updated at the refresh rate of the screen, so it doesn't display all the minor changes in the input.

You can try the voice recording feature of NIMH ML. It doesn't use any hardware acceleration, though. So you should expect some delay and the recording result cannot be aligned with other timestamps of NIMH ML.
January 17, 2020 01:33PM
Thanks Jaewon!
March 10, 2020 07:38PM
Now you can sample at a different rate, if you have more than one NI board. Check out "High-freq Sampling" in the Other device settings menu.
https://monkeylogic.nimh.nih.gov/docs_MainMenu.html#OtherDeviceSettings

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.