Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

touchscreen anomaly

Posted by PeterK 
touchscreen anomaly
March 08, 2024 12:14PM
Hello Jaewon and others,

We are experiencing some unusual MonkeyLogic performance:

We use 1 touchscreen to show images and record touches from participants; the other monitor is for investigator use as usual.

ML seems to recognize the second monitor correctly and accepts touches. But ML shows the pictures in the first monitor (i.e. the monitor for investigator use). Interestingly, the touch works in the second monitor while no stimuli were shown.

Another strange thing is that the image flashes on the touchscreen *after* being displayed on the investigator screen *after* a touch on the touchscreen is registered.
Re: touchscreen anomaly
March 08, 2024 12:29PM
Make the touchscreen the main display of your system and try again.
https://monkeylogic.nimh.nih.gov/docs_MonitorSetup.html

There were a few people who talked about a similar issue, but they never followed it through with me, so I do not know the reason for sure.
March 08, 2024 01:49PM
Thank you Jaewon, we will try this
March 13, 2024 11:55AM
Hi Jaewon,

We have some slightly different problems now:

We changed the touchscreen to the main monitor
This monitor is listed "#2" in the system
When we set Subj. screen device as "#2" and ran the task
... main menu window occluded

We then set Subj. screen device to "#1"
ML will run the task on the investigator screen and show a white screen on monitor 2 (our Subj screen)

When we check forced use of fallback it will run the task on monitor 2
... but just 1 trail, then the pause screen

When we press "Test" to show the colored annulus or test a image presentation with the
Subj. screen device set as "#1", the images or test annulus is shown on the touchscreen, #2

One monitor is HDMI (investigator screen #1) and the other DVI (touchscreen #2)

Can you advise?
March 13, 2024 12:01PM
Please read the manual that I linked above. What you need to do is 1) to restart ML after changing the main display and 2) to drag the ML window onto the HDMI monitor and change the "Subject screen device" to the DVI monitor. All are written in the first section of the manual page.
March 13, 2024 12:33PM
We did look at this page:

[monkeylogic.nimh.nih.gov]

1. Configuration with two monitors
we followed these directions
we extended the display and made the touchscreen the main display
display scale is the same

2. Running on a single monitor system
not relevant

Using more than two monitors
not relevant

3. Latency test
not relevant

4. Troubleshooting
unable to resolve problem
March 13, 2024 01:09PM
Please see my previous comment again and try running ML as written there. After you change the main display, MATLAB opens on the new main display and so does the ML window. You need to drag them back to your old main display. I guess you started the task without doing so, which is why you saw the warning, "The main menu window will be occluded by the subject screen. Please move it to a different location and try again."

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.