Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ITI increases over trials

Posted by lucast4 
ITI increases over trials
June 17, 2023 04:49PM
The ITI is about 1.5sec at the start of the session, then gradually increases over trials.
At trial ~500, the ITI is around 5sec.

Is this due to the data file size getting too large? It is about 600MB for 1000 trials.

I believe this delay is in the monkeylogic ITI, not in any of the timing file code.

Do you have any suggestions where to begin looking?
Re: ITI increases over trials
June 17, 2023 08:50PM
What filetype are you using? if it is not BHV2, try switching to BHV2. H5 and MAT have the problem of getting slower as the filesize gets larger.
June 19, 2023 06:54PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I am indeed using bhv2...
I save most of the data using bhv_variable().
And some in TrialRecord.User.
Would any of those slow things down?
June 19, 2023 10:14PM
Of course, anything that you save with bhv_variable() slows things down. Are you saving something that grows larger each trial?
June 20, 2023 09:26AM
No I don't think so.
On each trial I am converting some adapters into structs and then saving them using bhv_variable(). I do this because the adapters hold relevant data.
One of them is a custom Adapter. Maybe I am not destroying all of this Adapter's graphics properly? Could this possibly lead to some accumulation of data across trials?
June 20, 2023 01:58PM
I have also analyzed the saved data and there is no increase in the size of data.UserVars over trials...
June 20, 2023 03:05PM
If it is not data saving, it can be stimulus creation that consumes the time. I guess you need to test what it is one by one. There is not so much I can do, since I do not know what your code does.
June 21, 2023 11:17AM
ok got it, I will run some more tests to try to isolate the problem

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.