Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Screen refresh rate vs mouse sampling frequency

Posted by Matty 
Screen refresh rate vs mouse sampling frequency
February 23, 2022 11:05PM
Hi

Does MonkeyLogic directly sample mouse coordinates (in which case a good gaming mouse should suffice) or does it record screen cursor coordinates (for which a high refresh rate monitor becomes crucial)?

Even with a high refresh rate monitor, we get several skipped frames. What can be done to resolve this issue?

Thank you.
Re: Screen refresh rate vs mouse sampling frequency
February 23, 2022 11:22PM
Are you asking two separate questions? Or are they related?

I do not understand them anyway. Is there any difference between mouse coordinates and screen cursor coordinates?

The higher the refresh rate is, the more likely you get skipped frames. Lower the refresh rate.
February 24, 2022 12:02AM
Thanks for the prompt reply and sorry for the ambiguity.

We actually increased our screen refresh rates because that really improved the mouse sampling frequency. But in the bargain, we get several skipped frames.
February 24, 2022 02:34AM
What do you mean by the mouse sampling frequency? How did you measure it?

Which version of NIMH ML are you using?
February 24, 2022 10:26PM
I count the number of times an X & Y coordinate has been repeated. There are very few repeats in a high refresh rate high monitor compared to one with a lower refresh rate. I am sharing a text file for your reference.

I am using v.2.2.13 of MonkeyLogic

Thank you.
Attachments:
open | download - Monitor refresh rate.txt (21 KB)
February 25, 2022 01:43AM
Update your NIMH ML and try again. The so-called mouse sampling rate has nothing to do with the refresh rate.

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.