Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"StimulusInfo" equivalent in new MonkeyLogic

Posted by teichert 
"StimulusInfo" equivalent in new MonkeyLogic
July 15, 2020 03:40PM
Hi there,

I am transitioning to the new ML because of some hard-ware issues.

In the old ML we had used the variable "StimulusInfo" to access information about the TaskObjects from the within the timing file. I am trying to find a similar way to access this information in the new ML, but so far without success.

A bit of background: we use the condition file to set certain control variables like presentation rates or the like. To that end we had created a different class of entries to the cnd file which we called Cnd(x). The value in the brackets was then saved to StimulusInfo and could be accessed in the timing file via

userVariable = StimulusInfo{n}.value;

This allows us to use the same timing file with very different parameter settings. We have come to rely on this hack in pretty much all of our condition files, so I would like to enable a similar approach in the new ML.

So far I have not been able to get it to work... It seems like the task-object info is saved in the variable mlconditions, but specifically protected from being accessed directly by the user. Is there a way to get to that info from within the timing file?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and ideas :-)

Cheers,
Tobias
Re: "StimulusInfo" equivalent in new MonkeyLogic
July 15, 2020 07:18PM
That is exactly why you should not rely on a hack to do important things. I tried to make NIMH ML flexible enough so that you don't need to hack anything.

Your problem is not in reading out a value from StimulusInfo but in inserting one into it. The variable, StimulusInfo, is still there and provides extra information about TaskObjects. However, NIMH ML does not recognize a custom entry like Cnd.

If the purpose of Cnd(x) is simply delivering a value to the timing script, I wonder why you did not use the Info column. It works in both the original ML and NIMH ML.
https://monkeylogic.nimh.nih.gov/docs_CreatingTask.html#ConditionsFile
Re: "StimulusInfo" equivalent in new MonkeyLogic
July 15, 2020 11:49PM
Fantastic, thanks for the fast and very helpful reply :-)

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.