Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble setting up behavioral codes and strobe bit

Posted by celia 
Trouble setting up behavioral codes and strobe bit
November 02, 2019 08:28PM
Hi -- I'm having some baffling issues setting up my behavioral codes and strobe. I am using a PCI-6229 (Controller 1). Until now, this DAQ box was only connected to a juice pump (analog output) and eyetracking device (analog input), and served me well for the past two years. As a sanity test, I voltage-tested each pin on the board and confirmed that they are all functioning normally.

I am using a behavioral code output wire from Plexon, and set up the individual lines exactly like other members of my lab who are using the same equipment. I configured everything in ML like this:

Behavioral Codes
nidaq:Dev1
DigitalIO: 'out'
Port 0, Line 8:15

Strobe Bit
nidaq:Dev1
DigitalIO: 'out'
Port 0, Line 27

However, when I run a strobe test, nothing shows up on my neural recording monitor, despite seeing a confirmation in my command window informing me that the test indeed happened. I saw a post in the old suggesting modifications to the mlmenu.m code, but I can't seem to find that file in my ML directory (I have MonkeyLogic2 build #127).

What else can I try to debug this? I've tested the DAQ box and both ports on my OmniPlex chassis, and confirmed that nothing seems to be wrong with the hardware itself. Thanks - any help is appreciated!
Re: Trouble setting up behavioral codes and strobe bit
November 04, 2019 11:05AM
The "confirmation" on the command window just tells you that the software did what it was supposed to do and did not detect any error in doing it. It does not necessarily mean that you should be able to see some changes on your "neural recording monitor", since it is not a test for your hardware.

It seems that you did some tests on your hardware, but you need to describe the details about what you tested and how you did. From what you wrote, it is difficult to tell which test was relevant and what was ruled out. If your lab members are using the same equipment, are they experiencing the same problem?

The first thing I would test is whether a voltage change is detected at the OmniPlex side of the behavioral code cable. Since the strobe test sends out too many codes too fast, you probably need to write a timing script that sends some known codes at a slower rate, for example, like alternating 0 and 1 every second.
for m=1:20
    eventmarker(1);
    idle(1000);
    eventmarker(0);
    idle(1000);
end
Then you can check the cable line connected to Port 0 Line 8 (p0.8).

If you think this is a software problem, you can test it with a tool provided by NI. Run NI MAX and open a test panel of your device. You can turn on and off each digital line there.

Attachments:
open | download - NI_MAX_test_panel.png (19.8 KB)

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.