Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hosting code on Github

Posted by DHaehnke 
Hosting code on Github
October 01, 2019 10:42AM
Hi,

this has been asked one or two times in the old forum and was never answered:

Wouldn't it be possible to host MonkeyLogic on Github? It would make bug reports, feature requests and contributing so much easier.

Best,
Daniel
Re: Hosting code on Github
October 01, 2019 03:34PM
I don't know. I was told that I should use our NIH-based IT resource, to provide service in my working time, which is the reason that we moved the forum website to here. And I don't see why GitHub is better. I don't use Git.
October 02, 2019 03:41AM
Jaewon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I don't see why GitHub is better.

- Other people can contribute easily by pull requests
- Bugs and feature requests can be separately tracked as issues, which can be closed or referenced
- Much better overview of changes to the code

Right now the development feels a little intransparent. People write on the forum and then you implement a feature or fix a bug and publish the new version (which so far worked well, I'm quite happy about the progress). However, it would be interesting to see what the code changes were and what bugs/features you are currently working on. On Github you have everything in one place.
You could still have control over the official code if you're the only maintainer.

Jaewon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't use Git.

But you surely use some kind of version control software?
October 02, 2019 06:25PM
Maybe I can consider it if I don't do mk research anymore, but now both NIH policy and my limited time do not allow me to do so.
October 04, 2019 09:46AM
I second this suggestion - it would give folks more understanding of how code is evolving and also allow for folks who have tinkered w/ it on the back end (Adding adapters for example) to openly request you add these things to the base package and for code to be easily read by everyone. It will definitely lead to more people contributing.

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.