Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bug: condition changed after block change with error logic repeat immediately

Posted by DHaehnke 
Bug: condition changed after block change with error logic repeat immediately
October 01, 2019 10:34AM
Hi,

we found this bug in the build 185, so it might have been fixed in the meantime.

With these settings we get random condition changes after incorrect trials:

- Only 1 block selected to be played in task.
- Number of trials this block: 1
- Count only correct trials: false
- Condition selection: random with replacement
- Block selection: random with replacement

The number of blocks is incremented after every trial and I suspect that the "condition selection" setting overrides the "repeat immediately" setting.

Best,
Daniel
Re: Bug: condition changed after block change with error logic repeat immediately
October 01, 2019 12:52PM
Please explain why you think it is a bug and what is the correct behavior.

From the information you posted, I don't see a particular problem. You set to play only one trial, whether it is correct or not. So a block change (to the same block, since you selected only one block) occurs after each trial, which increases the number of blocks completed. To make "repeat immediately" meaningful here, you should check on "Count correct trials only".
Re: Bug: condition changed after block change with error logic repeat immediately
October 02, 2019 03:16AM
Alright, I wasn't sure if this the expected behaviour.
Looking at the 'error logic' setting in isolation I would have expected the condition to be repeated even if blocks change.

Since this isn't a bug I suggest amending the documentation for error logic by specifying that this only applies within-block.
October 02, 2019 11:50AM
A block change means that the set of available conditions is switched, so it is not an intention but just a natural consequence of the design that the 'error logic' is applied within a block. For example, Block 1 should run only Condition 1, 2, and 3 in the following setting, so, if you switch from Block 2 to Block 1, Condition 4, 5 or 6 cannot be repeated in the new block.

Condition Block
1         1
2         1
3         1
4         2
5         2
6         2

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.